Personal Data Protection Policy and Practices
FWD Life Insurance Company (Bermuda) Limited (incorporated in Bermuda with limited liability) ("the Company") is committed to implementation and compliance with the provisions of the Bermuda Personal Information Protection Act 2016 and any other applicable laws and regulations ("Applicable Laws"). In this context the Corporate Data Protection Officer is responsible for coordinating and overseeing compliance with the Applicable Laws.
This Privacy Notice applies to all products and services provided by the Company and sets out how the Company may collect, use and disclose your personal information.
Personal Information Collection Statement
- From time to time, it is necessary for you to supply FWD Life Insurance Company (Bermuda) Limited (the "Company") or agents and representatives acting on its behalf with personal information and particulars in connection with our services and products. Failure to provide the necessary information and particulars may result in the Company being unable to provide or continue to provide these services and products to you.
- The Company may also generate and compile additional personal data using the information and particulars provided by you. All personal data collected, generated and compiled by the Company about you from time to time is collectively referred to in this statement as "Your Personal Data".
- "Your Personal Data" will also include personal data relating to your dependents, beneficiaries, authorised representatives and other individuals in relation to which you have provided information. If you provide personal data on behalf of any person you confirm that you are either their parent or guardian or you have obtained that person's consent to provide that personal data for use by the Company for the purposes set out in this statement.
- As detailed in this statement, Your Personal Data may also be processed by the Company's subsidiaries, holding companies, associated or affiliated companies and companies controlled by or under common control with the Company (collectively, "the Group").
- The purposes for which Your Personal Data may be used are as follows:
- providing our services and products to you, including administering, maintaining, managing and operating such services and products;
- processing, assessing and determining any applications or requests made by you in connection with our services or products and maintaining your account with the Company;
- developing insurance and other financial services and products;
- developing and maintaining credit and risk related models;
- processing payment instructions;
- determining any indebtedness owing to or from you, and collecting and recovering any amount owing from you or any person who has provided any security or other undertakings for your liabilities;
- exercising any rights that the Company may have in connection with our services and/or products;
- carrying out and/or verifying any eligibility, credit, physical, medical, security, underwriting and/or identity checks in connection with our services and products;
- any purposes in connection with any claims made by or against or otherwise involving you in respect of any of our services or products, including, making, defending, analysing, investigating, processing, assessing, determining, responding to, resolving or settling such claims detecting and preventing fraud (whether or not relating to the policy issued in respect of this application);
- performing policy reviews and needs analysis (whether or not on a regular basis);
- meeting disclosure obligations and other requirements imposed by or for the purposes of any laws, rules, regulations, codes of practice or guidelines (whether applicable in or outside Bermuda) binding on the Company or any other member of the Group, including making disclosure to any legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authorities (including for compliance with sanctions laws, the prevention or detection of money laundering, terrorist financing or other unlawful activities) or to any self-regulatory or industry bodies such as federations or associations of insurers;
- for statistical or actuarial research undertaken by the Company or any member of the Group; and
- fulfilling any other purposes directly related to (i) to (xii) above.
- Your Personal Data will be kept confidential, but to facilitate the purposes set out in paragraph 5 above, the Company may transfer, disclose, grant access to or share Your Personal Data with the following:
- other members of the Group;
- any person or company carrying on insurance-related and/or reinsurance-related business which is engaged by the Company in connection with the Company's business;
- any physicians, hospitals, clinics, medical practitioners, laboratories, technicians, loss adjustors, risk intelligence providers, claims investigators, organizations that consolidate claims and underwriting information for the insurance industry, fraud prevention organizations, other insurance companies (whether directly or through fraud prevention organizations or other persons named in this paragraphs), the police and databases or registers (and their operators) used by the insurance industry to analyze and check information provided against existing information, legal advisors and/or other professional advisors engaged in connection with the Company's business;
- any agent, contractor or service provider providing administrative, distribution, credit reference, debt collection, telecommunications, computer, call centre, data processing, payment processing, printing, redemption or other services in connection with the Company's business; and/or
- any official, regulator, ministry, law enforcement agent or other person (whether within or outside Bermuda) to whom the Company or another member of the Group is under an obligation or otherwise required or expected to make disclosures under the requirements of any law, rules, regulations, codes of practice or guidelines (whether applicable in or outside Bermuda).
- Your Personal Data may be transferred or disclosed to any assignee, transferee, participant or sub-participant of all or any substantial part of the Company's business.
- The Company is only allowed to (i) use Your Personal Data in direct marketing; or (ii) provide Your Personal Data to another person or company for its use in direct marketing, if you provide your consent or do not object in writing.
- In connection with direct marketing, the Company intends:
- to use your name, contact details (such as phone number, email address and mailing address), gender, services and products portfolio information, financial background and demographic data held by the Company from time to time in direct marketing to market the following classes of services and products offered by the Company, other members of the Group and/or Our Business Partners (being providers of the services and products described below) from time to time:
- insurance services and products;
- wealth management services and products;
- pensions, investments, brokering, financial advisory, credit and other financial services and products;
- health-check and wellness services and products;
- media, entertainment and telecommunications services;
- reward, loyalty or privileges programmes and related services and products; and
- donations and contributions for charitable and/or non-profit making purposes; and
- to provide your name and contact details (such as phone number, email address and mailing address), gender, services and products portfolio information, financial background and demographic data to any members of the Group and/ or Our Business Partners for their use in direct marketing for the classes of services and products described in paragraph 9(i) above (including, in the case of Our Business Partners, for money or other commercial benefit).
- You may also write to the Company at the address below to opt out from direct marketing at any time.
- To facilitate the purposes set out in paragraphs 5 and 9 above, the Company may transfer, disclose, grant access to or share Your Personal Data with the parties set out in paragraphs 6 and 9(ii) and you acknowledge that those parties may be based outside Bermuda and that Your Personal Data may be transferred to places where there may not be in place data protection laws which are substantially similar to, or serve the same purposes as, the Applicable Laws.
- Under the Applicable Laws you have the right to request access to Your Personal Data held by the Company, to request correction of any of Your Personal Data which is incorrect, or to request that some or all of Your Personal Data be erased or destroyed where the Personal Data is no longer relevant for the purpose of its use. The Company has the right to charge you a reasonable fee for processing and complying with your data access request except where any such request results in the correction of an error or omission in Your Personal Data that is under the control of the Company.
Requests for access to, correction of or erasure of Your Personal Data should be made by emailing email@example.com to:
Corporate Data Protection Officer
FWD Life Insurance Company (Bermuda) Limited
G.P.O Box 11832, Hong Kong
Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to call our Customer Service Hotline on (852) 3123 3416.
- The Company will ensure the accuracy of Your Personal Data collected and processed by the Company. Appropriate procedures are implemented so that Your Personal Data is regularly checked and updated to ensure that it is reasonably accurate having regard to the purposes for which that data is used. In so far as personal data held by the Company consists of statements of opinion, all reasonably practicable steps are taken to ensure that any facts cited in support of such statements of opinion are correct.
- The Company will at all times endeavour to ensure the accuracy of Your Personal Data held by the Company, and if Your Personal Data is transferred to third parties, it will notify that third party of any correction to be made.
- None of Your Personal Data is kept for longer than is necessary.
- The Company will ensure an appropriate level of protection for Your Personal Data in order to prevent unauthorized access, processing or other use of that data, commensurate with the sensitivity of the data and the harm that would be caused by unauthorized access to that data. It is the practice of the Company to achieve appropriate levels of security by restricting physical access to data, providing secure storage facilities and incorporating security measures into equipment in which data is held. Measures are taken to ensure the integrity, prudence, and competence of persons having access to Your Personal Data and Your Personal Data is only transmitted by secure means.